Instructor Membership Information
Instructor Members are members of CSA who provide primary instruction and club checkouts for CSA members. They also give scenic rides to non-members.
In return for providing this service to CSA:
- CSA dues are waived.
- Instructor Members may fly club gliders for their own use under the same terms as Regular members.
- Instructor Members are not required to be Ground Operations Director.
CSA requires Instructor Members to:
- complete a membership application and submit a resume and a letter of understanding about committing to the duty requirements before flying with CSA as an instructor. You may submit the resume and letter via e-mail to csa_board[-at-]soarcsa.org.
- receive board authorization before beginning an instructor checkout. The checkout will be by a CSA board designated examiner. Non-members may not receive nor give flight instruction.
- be a current CFI-G.
- commit to be at Owl Canyon Gliderport during normal operating hours to give rides and instruction at least 2 days every 4 weeks. Normal operating hours are 9 am to 6 pm weekend days and holidays.
- charge for ground and flight instruction at a pre-arranged rate. Payment for instruction given is between the instructor and the student. CSA will not collect instruction fees.
- join initially as a Regular Member, including payment of the initiation fee. The applicant must maintain the regular membership for a minimum of three months, at which time, he/she can convert to Instructor Member status and is eligible to "fly off the initiation fee" after 6 months satisfactory performance. If the decision to convert to Instructor Member status is not made prior to one year after joining, the initiation fee shall be forfeited by the applicant.
- pay for their own proficiency flights, except each instructor member may take up to three flights per year at CSA expense to retain 90-day currency.
- perform a yearly CSA proficiency check with the CSA Chief Flight Instructor
FAST (Fly A Sailplane Today) flights
- Instructor Members will be paid $10 by CSA for each FAST flight and each half hour of ground school given.
- Instructor Members will be paid $10 by CSA for each scenic ride given. Scenic rides should be a minimum of 20 minutes. Rides longer than the minimum on a soaring day are encouraged if the schedule permits.
- Insurance requirements are different for giving rides, so make sure you’re approved for rides in the specific glider.
- Scenic rides may not be given in Experimental aircraft.
- Instructor Members are subject to the same damage assessment as other members if they are responsible for damage to club equipment.
Voting Privileges, etc.
- Instructor Members are not entitled to vote.
- This information is also applicable to members of other CSA membership categories who are CSA Instructors.